The No-Mobo setup
- A simple controller circuit wich makes no use of the DART_MOBO components:
- only 6 modifiers can be connected to the Analog input pins of the Arduino board
- it is not possible to have an LED output, because we’re not using shifters.
Simple modifiers: pots and buttons
A basic DART controller can be created connecting up to 6 modifiers directly to the Arduino board. This is a good starting point to understand the basics of a DART controller 🙂
- Upload the latest Dart_Sketch to the Arduino board
- Arduino Leonardo(recommended) is automatically recognized ad a MIDI device, after sketch uploading.
- Arduino UNO requires a special procedure, after sketch uploading, to get MIDI-over-USB functionality
- Pots and buttons are autodetected, so they will control CC or NOTE messages
- Use the Dart editor to monitor the MIDI activity.
- The modifiers can be connected to any of the six Analog inputs.
- Buttons, toggle switches, rotary potentiometes, slide faders can be connected as follows.
Signs of life!
- the board is now working in AUTODETECT mode: pots and buttons are automatically recognized and a specific MIDI message is assigned to them (a NOTE messagge for buttons, a CC message for pots)
Monitoring with the DART_Editor
- Download and run the DART_Editor
- remember to select the right MIDI IN and OUT port at program start up…
- The DART unit is signaled as “DART” or “Arduino Leonardo” in the port list.
- Any action on the modifiers is now producing a sound effect.
- Take a look at the MIDI-monitor section:
- any action on the modifiers is now controlling a MIDI signal
- This “no-mobo” circuit is a great starting point for experimenting some more control elements:
- the Top Spinner encoder.
- the touch sensor circuit.
- These elements are managed immediately in the AUTODETECT mode, with a fixed MIDI output setting.
- The Top Spinner encoder works in endless mode
- The touch sensors will work as simple NOTE on/off buttons, with fixed sensitivity.
- find out more about using the ENCODER and TOUCH SENSOR.
The autodetect mode is only temporary and not perfectly stable.
For those who want to build a controller using only the arduino board, we recommend using the DART_EDITOR to create and load a preset.
Here is a guide made on purpose: NO-MOBO setup.